Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Don't be the "ass" in assessment

Reading the different types of assessment that my fellow educators did research on, I definitely had an initial understanding of each one and as advanced as assessment has become it is still done in a very traditional way.Research has been proven and with the help of the multiple intelligence theory, students learn different ways and although it is difficult to reach every student,teachers should stride to provide quality assessments throughout the school year.

Normative assessment in physical education is a recipe for disaster. Not all students have developed physically, mentally and emotionally in the same way, therefore how does one students success affect another's? I had an experience similar to that in high school when my teachers starting implementing grades.

I personally never had any issues with it because I loved PE and played sports throughout my high school career, but I watched a friend who was rather overweight and tried hard, but wasn't very coordinated. She received a low grade because she could not perform as well as the other girls in the class. She became withdrawn and stopped putting effort in class. It really became a wake up call for me once I got into college and started learning about assessment. I as a teacher do not ever want a student to feel inadequate when they walk into my physical education class and I want them to improve on their terms and in accordance to their ability.

When it comes to assessment, try different types and see what affects your students the most. It not only give you as the teacher feedback on if your instruction is effective, but gives you some insight into how you might improve overall fitness and skill development in your classes. Next time you start to assess your students make sure you are prepared and your students are prepared. Get creative, make it enjoyable, it doesn't need to feel like a test every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment